Monday, October 29, 2007

Saw IV (Darren Lynn Bousman, 2007)


Saw IV (Darren Lynn Bousman, 2007)
Rating: 6.6

Bad acting, and even worse dialogue aside, Saw IV delivers in terms of box office reception as well as entertainment satisfaction. I've never valued the series as a great achievement in cinema, but like I've said before I can't stop watching it. Saw IV is by far the best film in the series since the original. The twists are actually pretty brilliant as are the traps as always. The flashbacks became a bit tiresome, but it was nice to learn more about Jigsaw's character. I suppose my biggest complaint would have to be the improbability of all of the film's events taking place within a 90 minute time period. The visual effects are pretty incredible, but the sound design is what really sells the cringe worthy gore in all of the films for me. I was also pretty impressed with an editing technique used throughout the film, that I really can't recall seeing before where different scenes in separate locations sort of overlap each other seamlessly through transition. It's difficult to explain, but for instance there is a scene in which Jigsaw turns around and is staring in the direction of his ex girlfriend, however it appears as if he has somehow teleported to the scene in which the detective is interrogating her, and then he slowly fades away.

No comments: