Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)



The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008)
Rating: 7.5



I can't stop thinking about Ledger's performance...sounds cliché at this point, but I was completely enthralled with The Joker and I am confident it will be remembered as epic. Each time he was on screen I got an adrenaline rush. It got to the point where I was almost uninterested in Batman.

Oh and Gyllenhaal was terribly terribly annoying.

I felt that the absence and presence of music was oddly schemed. I can recall several dialogue scenes where I almost couldn't hear what the characters were saying because the music was up in the mix so loudly. Perhaps keeping the music constantly running through these scenes was a strategy to keep the audience on their toes and to mask slower scenes, but it may have been a bit too driving for my taste. Interestingly enough the music is nowhere to be found during the action-packed car chase sequence. I actually loved how it played out without the music and for a minute thought that the music track channel got muted in the theater or something; you just don't see that enough in this type of film, as music usually drives this type of action. I did however find it an odd choice given the strategy of the score throughout the rest of the film.

No comments: