Monday, October 13, 2008

Blindness (Fernando Meirelles, 2008)


Blindness (Fernando Meirelles, 2008)
Rating: 8.5

I'm not sure why this film is being so poorly received. I personally thought it was just a few missteps away from brilliance. The cinematography is amazing, although I can understand some viewing it as annoying as things are often blurred and obscured. I suppose people are most likely complaining about the unexplained blindness phenomenon and other logistic matters, but these same critics are perfectly content with Hitchcock's lame ass birds attacking people for no apparent reason. The fact is the film is more than just the vague premise. The script in fact could have been done in a more trivial mainstream fashion and probably been more marketable, but Meirelles turns this film into something important. Blindness captures the entire spectrum of the human condition and emotions. It explores the darkest and most desperate, despicable behavior as well as love, compassion, as the characters fight for survival; something that is seemingly becoming more relevant considering the current conditions in the world. My biggest complaint is the soundtrack, which I wasn't too enthused with. There was an awkward energy at times, and I think a better score could have helped this immensely.





No comments: