Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Speed Racer (Andy and Larry Wachowski, 2008)


Speed Racer (Andy and Larry Wachowski, 2008)
Rating: 8.5

After initially intending to avoid this film due to my love of the original series and my fear that it would be butchered, I finally saw Speed Racer, and to my surprise loved it. This film is everything great about mainstream cinema. An amazing eyegasm inducing, sensory experience that gave me goosebumps. The Wachowski's managed to deliver something truly unique visually by creating a cartoon-realism hybrid fantasy world. This is honestly one of the first times I can remember being content with an adaptation of a cartoon or television show, as the cast was about as perfect as it could have been. Even Christina Ricci, who I had doubts about, was great. I'd like to see this film get recognized for an editing Oscar, although not likely.

No comments: