Friday, September 28, 2007

The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky, 2006)



The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky, 2006)
Rating: 9.4

"Death is the road to awe."
I saw The Fountain in theaters about ten months ago and loved it. The film really seemed to click for me on all levels. It's obviously incredibly visual and heavily reliant on the the editing tactics and emphasized through the use of score so I thought a second viewing might reveal that I was manipulated by such devices, and perhaps I wouldn't think as highly of it again, however I found the reverse to be true. After the second viewing I became even more aware of how incredible the script (which many critics have referred to as incoherent) is as well as how moving the performances are (don't laugh, but I was brought to tears several times ). Originally I felt the performances and some of the dialogue came across as overly melodramatic, but I now realize they were essential for accomplishing such an emotional final product. I admire Aronofsky's ambition to tackle such a universally complex philosophical subject and cannot fathom why this film was so lampooned and/or ignored critically. In my opinion it is still easily one the best films from last year.

No comments: