Thursday, January 12, 2006

Buffalo '66 ( Vincent Gallo, 1998)



Buffalo '66 ( Vincent Gallo, 1998)
Rating: 7.7

I was first introduced to Vincent Gallo, as a filmmaker when I watched the notoriously atrocious The Brown Bunny. So I was skeptical about this film, but impressed after watching it and honestly amazed that such a well done film, was written and directed by the same person as The Brown Bunny. Vincent Gallo and Christina Ricci are excellent as the neurotic Billy and Layla and I especially enjoyed the portrayal of Billy's eccentric parents played by Ben Gazzara and Anjelica Huston. Buffalo '66 is a fine technical achievement in filmmaking as well. There is an amazing three-dimensional freeze scene towards the end of the movie where the camera pans around the still characters. I also found the overlaying flashback scenes to be a nice touch. This film is oddly depressing yet humorous at the same time and very original both narratively and stylistically.

No comments: